Everything in terms of creativity is defined by your limitation. Your canvas, whether it’s digital, paper, clay, music…..and so on – is completely void and blank until you put your creations upon it. How far you take it is up to you. The limit is your own limitation. Limitation isn’t always bad, it can work in your favor also! Sort of how silence works! Sometimes though it is what inhibits us from progressing further. I think it has to do with some sort of comfortability with what we are familiar with and not feeling confident enough to do something that is different or more seemingly complex.
Here are some scenerios:
- “Afraid” to use other tools in a program because you aren’t sure how to use them “properly”
- “Afraid” to explore different methods of playing a particular instrument
- “Afraid” of using a microphone in a position that isn’t considered normal
- “Afraid” to do something that isn’t generic (this could be subconscious though.)
- “Afraid” someone isn’t going to like it
I suggest to all creative people out there:
- You need to stop being afraid of what does this button do? It won’t kill you
- Explore the software you *hopefully* paid for! I say go 50/50 or some other whack fraction(I’m horrible at math) – learn things on your own by exploring and learn from tutorials or teachers
- Mix and blend colors, sounds, images…whatever it is you do to fabricate something bold and exciting…dare I say different?
- It’s not a competition unless you make one up. Learn from your colleagues, friends, and peers. One of my favorite sound designers(BSG) happens to reads my blog. I asked him why would you want to hear/read what someone as ghostly as me has to say? He responded with the wise words: no matter what, you can always learn from someone else.
- Find people to look up to, preferably also able to communicate with them also.
- Accept your weaknesses…BUT utilize the strengths in your weaknesses.
- Recognize our strengths…BUT figure out what you can do to become even better at it!
- Do something that you’re not used to doing or dislike. You may find down the road that it will help you out tremendously!
- Find out your niche and grow a universe upon it!
- You can insert some here! Leave comments, please:)
On a side note- the gig last night was REALLY fun!
Here is a clip of the guitarist (my dad)
Here is me on bass and you can see Jeff for a moment!